Saturday, July 29, 2006

Time for a fresh look

New Idea! From now on, every blog post will begin with an image literally taken from my life.



*A Fresh Look*

I realized this morning that it's time for a fresh look at life. I've been down in the dumps recently, and not so happy about my seeming inability to get my Ebay project started, among other things.

Then I found this. It's a neat story, but what haunted me was this bit:
"He is, in short, a walking resumé who can also do 250 push-ups a day and says that comfort is the enemy of achievement."

That's right, comfort is the enemy of achievement.

I thought to myself "How can a human being have an outlook like that and ever be satisfied with their life?" The answer hit me like a ton of bricks, shot out of a cannon from the top of the sears tower, with a sign that said 'beware of the panther.'

He's a bloody millionaire! He has as much material comfort as he wants. He has millions of ways to enjoy life. But the money isn't even important. Satisfaction comes from... whatever satisfies you. Seems simple, but all he has to do is figure out what satisfies him, and do it. If he finds satisfaction in achievement, he'll be satisfied with his life.

And I realized that what would satisfy me is to do something great with my life. To really have an impact. But to get there, I have to clear some hurdles. I have to settle my debts, and get enough money to cover living expenses so I can avoid starving to death while accomplishing my lofty goals. But I've been taking refuge in immediate (and material) comforts of late. I haven't been seeing the big picture. Why sacrifice long term satisfaction for immediate comfort? The point is, comfort isn't the same as happiness, or joy, or satisfaction. So if I value those things over comfort...

*Shift In Brain Function*

At this point, my brain, which had been whirring at hundreds of miles an hour (I thought of all that in far less than a second) stopped. I could swear I almost heard a grinding noise. And something changed. Rational argument and logical reason ceased, and my brain simply told me, "Stop thinking so much. You know what you need to do: Start Doing It! Stop being a lazy sack of crap!"

And I got to work, figuring out how to use the digital camera with the computer, and preparing for Ebay auctions and other projects. This shift in brain function had the same "free" feeling as several other major realizations I've made in my life, and each of them has led me to be more satisfied with my life.

It's the feeling of a summer's worth of depression melting away.

It might come back, or not. Who cares? I know what I need to do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home